Thursday, April 4, 2019

마리솔 --> Marisol in Hangul

Hello again! Welcome to week two!


I realized that I may not have done the best job introducing South Korea to you all. This week I decided to focus on giving you all some background knowledge.

We will go over:
  • Where is South Korea? What does their flag look like?
  • What language do they speak?
  • What do they eat here?
  • Who lives here?
Image result for south korea on the map
I live in Seoul!
Where is South Korea?

Image result for south korea on the map



















South Korea is part of the Korean peninsula, South from North Korea. To the East, they have Japan and to the Northwest, China. Their flag looks like this:

fs
Image result for Korean flag


Their flag symbolizes harmony of the universe! The white background is harmony and peacefulness, the blue is yin, and red is yang. The black dash lines in each corner represent: sky, land, fire, and water.

What language do they speak?

People in South Korea speak Korean! It's based on their alphabet called: Hangul. Their alphabet was actually created by King Sejong, the fourth king of the Joseon Dynasty. This was really important for the Korean people because before Hangul, people read and spoke using Classical Chinese. Many people were illiterate due to the lack of education and difficulty of Chinese characters. It is described as the 'proper sound to teach the people' and contributed to the decline in illiteracy. Hangul is considered the easiest alphabet to learn! Can you believe I learned it in a week? Just don't ask me to say anything because sounding out words is much different than actually knowing the language.

What do they eat?

When having a typical Korean meal, you can usually find: rice, kimchi, soup, and side dishes. Rice is so important to the Korean people! It goes with everything. Same with Kimchi and other traditional side dishes like pickled radish, bean sprouts, and sweet potatoes, pickled onions, and many more. If I told you that kimchi is spicy fermented cabbage with fish sauce, would you try it? Have you tried Kimchi before? If you're okay with spicy food, it is really yummy! I hope you try it at least once!

Next I'll show you a few common dishes that you would find in Korea...

Image result for kimchi rice side dishes

Kimchi Stew with rice and five side dishes

Image result for korean bibimbap

Bibimbap - Rice topped with vegetables, an egg, and meat (if you want)
Image result for jeon

Jeon - savory vegetable pancake and assorted fried vegetables

Image result for korean barbeque

Korean Barbecue - meat of your choice with lettuce and side dishes

                                 Image result for fried chicken in korea

Fried Chicken - eaten with side dishes and dipping sauce

NEXT: Common Street Food

Image result for Korean Street food

Upper right: (kimbap) rice and veggies wrapped in seaweed. Bottom right: (jeon) vegetable pancakes. Upper left: (tteokbokki) spicy rice cake. Bottom left: (bulgogi) marinated then barbecued meats.


Many of your asked me what my favorite food was here in Korea. I forgot to mention that I don't eat meat! When I eat out, I usually seek Korean food. My favorites are jeon, kimbap, bibimbap, and tteokbokki! Ramen is also a must have. However, there are times when I have had enough eating out. That's when I make myself beans and rice. p: (enjoy my primitive emoji) 

American Food!
Is very popular here! Some things are harder to find and more expensive, like peanut butter, but there are many American restaurants. They sell burgers, fries, sandwiches, whatever you're craving! I should mention that there is a Burger King, McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Starbucks down the street from my University. Imported products - products brought in from other countries - can be more expensive, but are definitely available, you just have to look for them! 


Who lives here?

Traditionally, South Korea has been described as a monoculture, meaning that the country is made up of mostly Korean people. Korea recently became a developed country which has increased their business, political power, and tourism! Many people have begun moving to Korea either because of the job opportunities or just because they like it here. From what you have seen so far, do you like Korea? 

When I first came, in the back of my mind I really wanted it to be like a drama! I had to be real with myself and admit that dramas are exactly that: dramatizations. They do a really great job of making Korea look appealing. Don't get me wrong, I love Korea so far, but it is important not to get too caught up with what popular culture and media shows you because they are showing you what they know you want to see. Would you say that life in the United States is exactly how they show it in tv shows? 

I will cover Korean Popular culture in another post. I know many of you are excited about that! To give you an idea of the traditional culture, I think it would be worth it to attach some photos. 


Image result for hanbok family

Hanbok - Korean Traditional Dress

Image result for samgomu

Samgomu - 3 drum dance
Image result for buchaechum

Buchaechum - Traditional Fan Dance


Image result for talchum

Talchum - Traditional Mask Dance

Image result for pansori

Pansori - one person drama
Aniri = singer is many people
Balim = Fan as form of expression
Gosu = drum creates mood
Chuimsae = audience reacts to drama

In this video, the BTS intro incorporates Samgomu, Buchaechum, Talchum, and the traditional music of Pansori (in that order). Please enjoy.

I hope this week was interesting! Your teacher mentioned you were all learning about the development of language, culture, arts, and the early cities of the Western Hemisphere. I figured this mini lesson on Korea would be a good start. South Korea is one of those countries with such a rich cultural history, I can assure you that we have barely scratched the surface. :D

Questions:
What interests you about South Korea? 
What food do you want to try?
What did you think of South Korea before today? Did anything change?








41 comments:

  1. One thing I have learned about South Korea from the blog is what type of food is eaten in Korea. A question I have about your post is if it's hard to understand what the people are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really hard! I'm in Korean 1, which is very basic. When people speak to me, it is usually too fast and advanced for me to catch what they are saying. The only time that I can understand is when ordering food or buying something at the store because in class, we have learned how to order food and their numbering system here.

      Delete
  2. Something I found interesting in your blog is all the cultural stuff.
    A question I have about your post is how do you pronounce things in that laguage?
    i did like this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the culture of Korea! So, pronunciation is actually really straightforward after you learn Hangul, their alphabet. Each symbol has a sound. Remember the title of this blog? It's 마리솔. 마 is "Ma", 리 is "Ri" and 솔 is "Sol". Hangul is claimed to be the easiest alphabet to learn. Many people can learn it in less than a day! Hangul is great for sounding out words, but then you need to learn what everything means and grammar. >.<

      Delete
  3. Something I found interesting in your blog is that you got to answer all of the questions that we asked. A question I have about your post is do you like american or korean food better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss eating the amazing burgers from my favorite vegan restaurants, BUT I am also really enjoying all of the authentic Korean food! I would say while I'm in Korea, I'll have preference for Korean food, but when I'm in the USA, American food is what I would go for.

      Delete
  4. one thing i learned for the south korea blog is that koreans really like american food and like spicy food to.
    A question i have about your blog is why is american food so popular in south korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korea is a recently developed country so while Korean culture has had a heavy influence on popular culture, the USA has had a big influence on South Korea! As I mentioned, they have all kinds of restaurants here, but I think American food dominates for the aesthetic. Koreans love foreign, cute, and new things! c:

      Delete
  5. One thing I have learned about South Korea from the blog is what kinda foods you eat.
    Something I found interesting in your blog is the fast foods restaurants are famous
    A question I have about your post is whats your favorite thing to eat there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Jeon! It's the savory vegetable pancake! Kimbap is really good too. I usually eat that when I'm out on the town with friends :)

      Delete
  6. are there different games in Korea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koreans have SO MANY games! I know this from watching Korean dramas, but I don't know the games specifically. My teachers play games, like Korean eenie-meenie-miny-mo, to choose a student to call on. Then there are games kids grow up playing with their school friends, like some type of rock paper scissors. When I went out with my Korean club friends, we played charades, cards, and many other games!

      Delete
  7. Something I found interesting in your blog is that they sell american food in south korea. A question I have about your post is how long did it take you to learn how to speak korean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me about a week to learn Hangul, their alphabet, but I don't know how to speak Korean yet :( I think that will take much longer! So far in my Korean 1 class, we have learned greetings, how to order basic Korean dishes, and how to buy things at the store, like prices and how to ask how much something is. It is definitely requiring a lot of studying though! The vocab is hard to memorize.

      Delete
  8. Something I found interesting in your blog is that their king,king sejong made the korean alphabet and that korea has fried chicken.Can you put a video at the end of every blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try! I can tell the video was a good choice. I'm really glad you all liked it. What kind of videos and topics would you like to learn about next?

      Delete
  9. One thing i´m interested in South Korea is there Culture they express.
    What food I would like to try is the Korean Barbeque since I ate there a couple times and know what to expect.
    What i thought about south korea is just a normal asian place but now I know that it is very unique like every other country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean barbecue is so popular! All of my friends love it. They are always so shocked when I tell them that I haven't tried it yet. I'm really glad I could change your perspective. I didn't know that Korea had such a rich culture either, but their history is actually very interesting and goes very far back in time.

      Delete
  10. One thing I have learned about South Korea from the blog is there are a lot of different cultural dances like Samgomu, Buchaechum, and Talchum.
    Something I found interesting in your blog is the food! I am definitely going to try some kimchi.
    A question I have about your post is can you talk to other people in korean?
    Alketa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the cultural dances!
      I hope you get to try it soon! I love kimchi, but sometimes it can taste a little fishy.
      I can't hold a conversation with Korean people yet, but I can usually tell them that I'm a student at Yonsei University or where I went over the weekend. It's based off of what I have learned in Korean 1, so if we've covered it in class, I could probably say a few things about it haha

      Delete
  11. What interests you about South Korea?
    I am interested about all of the culture on south korea.
    What food do you want to try?
    I want to try the snacks that they have in south korea that you can't find in America.
    What did you think of South Korea before today? Did anything change?
    I thought that south korea didn't have restaurants like burger king and mcdonalds.
    A question I have about your post is what was your first thought that you had when you went to south korea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In terms of the snacks, they have so many different kinds of chips and drinks! The chips are mostly fish flavored or sweet in taste. Also, when I go into the mini-mart they have cheese on a stick, different kinds of deli meats on sticks, and many kinds of seafood jerky. If you like seafood, you would like the snacks here!
      Before coming to South Korea, I didn't really know what to expect. I had seen a lot about the people in the Korean dramas, but I did not want to rely on that because it is very dramatized. I wanted to keep an open mind about Korea and it's people. My first thought was that I needed to find food that I could eat and make friends!

      Delete
  12. One thing I have learned about south korea is that they have a bts group that is good at singing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked BTS! Check out their other songs. I think you would like them. I would recommend "Fire" or "Mic Drop".

      Delete
  13. Wow!! That sure made me hungry!! I found this post to be very informational - giving us a pretty good idea of where South Korea is and a bit about the culture. Your pictures really helped us to understand what you were talking about! Thank you!!

    The class enjoyed the BTS video - we were able to identify most of the traditional dance forms you showed in the pictures. It was so cool how they honored the traditions of the culture in such a contemporary and popular way. It made me wonder how else they are able to do that - honor the past in current times. How do the elders deal with all of the new ways and technology?

    Are the South Koreans interested in you as an American? You talked about the monoculture - most people being Korean. Are you a novelty or are there people of other cultures around? Are you considered a tourist, or a student?

    I have been to KTown BBQ on 82nd and Foster and love everything I have eaten there. Your picture reminded me of how much I enjoyed that meal. I really like kimchi!! Do you have a favorite kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this weeks post! That was definitely my goal, to be informative and interesting while incorporating lots of visuals.

      One students asked me to include a video in every post, which I don't think is a bad idea! I've watched a few videos on that very question and while some elders embrace the new technology, others want to ensure that the traditional ways are kept alive. So, in no way would I say that elders are against the modern advancements of technology and their culture, it is just a matter of ensuring that the traditional way is not lost.

      The province I live in is known for having a lot of tourists and international students, so people are not surprised to see me when I'm on campus. However, I do notice a lot of staring when I get on the subway and explore other areas of the city. I think it is very reasonable though. Some people just don't see many foreigners in their day to day lives, so I'm not offended or anything. I wouldn't say that I am a novelty either. There are hundreds of international students where I am living and they come from all over the world. I have never met so many people from different countries all in one place. For your last question, I think it depends on what I am doing, but I usually refer to myself as a student when people ask.

      I love KTown! That is where I go when I want Tteokbokki! If you enjoy the food there, I hope you get the opportunity to visit South Korea one day. I don't think that it is more "authentic" in either place, but I do think that every restaurant makes the dishes slightly different. The options are never-ending when it comes to food here. My favorite kimchi would have to be cucumber kimchi. The cucumber is what sets it apart for me. Do you have a favorite kind?

      Delete
  14. What interests you about South Korea? My Interests are Kpop and Anime and food :D
    What food do you want to try? Tteokbokki
    What did you think of South Korea before today? Did anything change? nothing changed i still wanna visit south korea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI. My name is Johnathan. I enjoy fixing/building cars.
    A question I have is what car you own and what you like and don't like about it.
    Another question I have is what types of cars most people drive in S. Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your entry titled Marisol In Hangul.
    I think it is interesting that the korean flag has a meaning behind it.
    Something I have learned about South Korea is it is most beloved most because of kpop.
    A question I have about South Korea is there anything else there for entertainment besides festival and dances?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same person. *Something I have learned about South Korea is the people are illiterate to the Chinese CHaracters.

      Delete
  17. I read your entry titled Reporting Live from Seoul, South Korea.
    I think it is interesting that they have dances
    Something I have learned about South Korea is they wear certain clothes for dances.
    A question I have about South Korea is whats the best food.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi my name is kobe villegas.
    I like that the korean flag has a symbol of peace.
    something i learned about south korea that young kids in south korea see the peninsula as a bunny and the elders see it as a tiger.
    A question i have about south korea is who is the president?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read your entry titled where is South Korea. I think it is interesting that rice is really important to the Korean culture.
    Something I have learned about South Korea is that South Korea is part of the Korean peninsula.
    A question I have about South Korea is where did they get there language from.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read your entry titled living from south korea
    I think it is interesting that they dance
    Something I have learned about South Korea is they were clothes for a dance
    A question I have about South Korea is what is the best food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read your title called "Land of High Mountains and Sparkling Seas,"
    I think it is interesting that South Korea is shaped as a tiger/rabbit.
    Something that I have learned about South Korea is that many street vendors sell steamed silkworm larvae.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi my name is celeste and i am a really big fan of bts and my favorite bands of kpop is bts,blackpink,exo,got7,txt and i've been knowing kpop not that long ago and i love the two videos that you put and i have a bias from bts and they are namjoon and par-jimin. all of them are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Something that interests me about South Korea is there dancing and city celebrations.
    Some food i want to try is the fruit.
    I thought that South Korea was a boring place and was like a poor place. I don't know if anything changed but to me now i know what it is like.
    -Malakai Period 4/8

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi my name is ALex and something that interests me in south korea is the food, games and places. I want to try waffles and ice cream. First I thought that South Korea was like North Korea but then I found out that it's actually nice there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey i'm jonathan and what i'm interested about south korea is the food there and the food that i wanna try is fried chicken. I thought south korea was a boring place but with the picture you showed me it looks really fun to be in south korea

    ReplyDelete