Sunday, April 21, 2019

Insert Card for Power, Please!

Hello y'all! Welcome to week 4 ~

South Korea is a republic that has undergone rapid development very recently! Since the 1960s, South Korea has become one of the world's biggest economies. Traditionally, Korea was dependent upon their agricultural industry, with their forests dense and abundant with wildlife and the ocean providing food to the people. Today, Korea's economy has shifted to technology and service industries with a few of their biggest companies being Samsung, LG, and Hyundai. 

With modernization comes population growth. Seoul alone has over 10 million people as of 2016. This staggering population has put a strain on the countries environmental quality. A large population might be great for economic development, but the environment suffers. Below, I will go over a few of the "problems" with living in a major metropolitan city and some of the things that Korea is doing right. 

Wear your mask!


Specifically, air quality is poor due to automobile and industrial pollution. Many people also believe that the fine dust that contributes to the poor air quality drifts over from China, located Northwest from the peninsula. When I first arrived to Korea, my instructors advised us to check the air quality before going out to know whether or not to wear masks. Masks are very common in South Korea and have even turned into a fashion statement! Believe me when I say that they are necessary. Since arriving to Seoul, my allergies have gotten considerably worse. If I forget my mask, I get home with a sore throat and a persistent cough. It goes away after spending time indoors, but it is a reminder for me to wear my mask next time! People are also expected to wear a mask when they are sick in order to be hygienic and prevent the spread of germs. Would you feel comfortable wearing a mask to school if you were sick? How would you feel if that became a social norm?

Image result for v bts wearing a mask
BTS V wearing a simple black mask to protect from the pollution







































Plastic, plastic, and more plastic. 


It is not just South Korea, our whole world is dependent upon plastic. It is convenient! Wherever I go, I see trash bins overflowing with single use plastic cups, straws, and food containers. This is especially bad on college campuses where mini marts and coffee shops are located on every corner. Plastic bags are especially bad. When I go shopping, plastic bags are provided. Seoul is making an effort to reduce the amount of plastic that is used though. Most mini marts, grocery stores, and retail stores charge for plastic bags. It is usually the smaller clothing stores that provide plastic bags for free. That is where I would say that the majority of my bags have come from. Since most stores charge for plastic, they also have reusable totes for sale! I see many locals utilizing reusable tote bags, like in Portland. While I would say that plastic bags, plastic packaging, and single use containers are a convenience, I see large cities like Seoul making efforts to reduce the amount of waste.

Recycle like a Korean


In South Korea, the people uses a system called "jongnyangje". This system is designed to ensure that the waste that people produce is being disposed of properly or else they get fined. Garbage is separated based on: common garbage, food waste, recyclables, and non-recyclables. Food waste is separated from common garbage and must be put in special biodegradable bags that can be purchased at most grocery stores. Recyclables include what you are probably used to recycling at home, but they also recycle any plastic bags, plastic cups, plastic film (like for instant noodles), batteries, and light bulbs. I thought this was really interesting about South Korea because in the United States, we can't recycle a lot of the single use plastics from home. Do you think this makes it okay to use single use plastic items? Or should we continue efforts to reduce our dependence on plastic convenience?


Image result for south korea trash day


Insert Card for Power


One thing I think Korea does really well at is conserving energy! Many of their products and systems have developed to be energy efficient. This is due in part because South Korea relies heavily on petroleum imports. Meaning that the gas and oil they use has to come from other countries. There other sources of energy include coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric. In recent years, the republic has begun efforts to move toward renewable energy resources to reduce reliance on foreign imports.

In terms of saving energy, it is normal to be energy conscious in Korea. My dorm even has a system in place that saves energy. We have these key cards to get in and out of the building, but they also function to give us electricity! We tap our room keys to get in the room then we insert the card into a slot to activate the power. This includes the heating and cooling system. While many foreign exchange students might want to keep the heater on while they're in class, the key card system does not allow it. Students could even get punished if they try to leave the heater on while they are not in the dorm.








































Mini Questionnaire 


To get an idea of how a fellow student feels about sustainability in Korea, I asked my friend Nancy a few questions about the topics I mentioned above. Nancy is a Korean-American engineering student with family here in Seoul. 

What do you think Korea could do to improve their sustainability efforts?

Nancy: "I think they could improve their waste disposal system. There needs to be more trash cans and more regulation on littering. I see so many people handing out paper flyers on the street and then they end up on the ground because people can't find a bin to dispose of them."

Do you wear a mask when you go out? Why or why not?

Nancy: "I check my phone in the morning to see if the dust is bad. If it recommends a mask, I'll wear it. Naver has the levels as: good, normal, bad, and very bad. If it says bad or very bad, then I wear a mask."

*Naver is an app described as the Google of Korea. They use it to get local information like movie times, shopping, email, weather, etc. It's only available in Korean.

How do you feel about recycling in South Korea? 

Nancy: "I feel they put an emphasis on recycling. Everywhere you go, you have separate bins for your different kinds of waste. I don't know when it started, but I think it is good because it has become a part of the South Korean lifestyle to recycle."

Do you leave the heater on when you are not home? 

Nancy: "No, I make sure to turn everything off before I leave. The lights, thermostat, and appliances. It's normal for Koreans to turn everything off in the house before you leave because it can get really expensive otherwise. My friend has her own apartment and always makes sure everything is turned off."

Let's Recap

MasksWould you feel comfortable wearing a mask to school if you were sick? How would you feel if that became a social norm?
RecyclingDo you think recycling makes it okay to use single use plastic items? Or should we continue efforts to reduce our dependence on plastic convenience?

Please include your name in the comments, friends!


Sources:

https://asiasociety.org/education/geography-koreas
https://www.korea4expats.com/article-waste-disposal-recycling-korea.html





44 comments:

  1. Ms Bland :) here! I thought this was a great post. We just read about Earth Day and many students were able to identify an environmental issue that they were concerned about. Most were able to suggest a solution. I can only imagine the waste and pollution created by so many people. I am hopeful that young people are involved in the solutions. It sounds like they are using technology to help address some of the energy problems. That is cool.

    A mask... I would feel so silly, but I have certainly thought about it when all of the kids are sick. I am lucky and don't have asthma or allergies. I bet the particles in the air really cause problems for them.

    I have stopped using straws unless I am having a milkshake, and my husband and I got each other reusable straws for Christmas. We have a whole set of them that we use, wash, and use again. You probably know that Portland does not allow use of plastic bags in stores, and now the whole state of Oregon is looking a t the same law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms. Bland!

      I'm really glad that my post could coincide with Earth Day! Through my reading, I discovered that waste disposal and pollution has been a persistent problem for South Korea. They are just starting to get the hang of it, especially since they start composting. I feel that their solutions have really made a different in terms of responsible disposal and quality of life.

      I definitely felt silly at first! It makes it easier when other people are also wearing masks! It's so interesting to see the difference in norms. My friends tell me that most east Asian countries have a pollution problem, so it is very normal to find masks everywhere you go. While I feel that many struggle with air quality issues, most people have adapted to it.

      That's really great! We do the same thing at my parents house. We make a lot of smoothies so we ordered reusable straws online and have been using them ever since. I got so used to Portland not using plastic bags that I was taken back when they started giving me plastic in Korea! I immediately purchased reusable bags during my first grocery trip. It would be nice if they completely stopped providing plastic, but that will be a goal of the future for now.

      Delete
  2. HI. My name is Johnathan. I enjoy fixing/building cars.
    A question I have is what car you own and what you like and don't like about it.
    Another question I have is what types of cars most people drive in S. Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonothan!
      I own a 1997 Honda Del Sol! It is a very fun car to drive. I like that it is small, manual transmission, and really pretty in my opinion! I don't like that it is only two seats though.
      Most people in South Korea drive smaller sedans. I see a lot of Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet, and so many mopeds!

      Delete
  3. Hi my name is Austin I would feel comfortable wearing a mask.
    I think we should use reusable stuff if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Austin. I've been wearing a mask here in Korea and it is starting to feel normal! I also try to use reusable bags and bottles here too.

      Delete
  4. I'm Nalanie
    I think yes if I was sick and wanting to prevent germs and stay hygienic I would wear a mask to school or a mask going out
    South Korea I feel like is neat and clean and so it's expected you keep the area clean too
    No, I don't leave the heater on when I'm not home because it gets too hot and I usually don't like that. I just turn it on whenever I am cold and wait for my house to start warming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nalanie,
      It seems like you would adapt well to South Korea's societal norms! They definitely put an emphasis on keeping the area clean. There's rarely a leaf out of place!

      I think it's great that you turn the heater on only when you need it. You're saving energy! It's starting to get warm over here, but we just open the window. We haven't started using the air conditioning yet.

      Delete
  5. Hi my name is Allen, I would feel comfortable wearing a mask because I normally wear masks at home or anywhere in general.
    And I would feel fine because I would get used to wearing it.
    It wouldn't be okay to Reuse plastic because it can have chemicals inside of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allen! When do you where your mask? Is it when you are sick?
      Plastic definitely contains chemicals so depending on what type of plastic and how you are reusing the item, it could release chemicals.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy playing soccer/basketball.
    A question I have is what type of cars are there.
    Another question I have is what is the best place to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ricardo,
      Here in South Korea they produce Hyundai and Kia (South Korea Chevrolet) and that is what most people drive. I have seen a lot of imported cars as well though like VW, BMW, and Mercedes.
      The best place to go depends on what you enjoy doing! Some people like eating out while others prefer to enjoy the outdoors. I personally enjoy the Hangan River because you can enjoy a picnic, ride bikes, order food, and enjoy the river view.

      Delete
  7. Hi this is Alexa!
    I would wear a mask to school if I was sick because I wouldn't want to get anyone else sick.
    I think that we should reduce our dependance on plastic convenience because it does not help the environment. It can kill the ocean animals and helps increase the amount of litter that we have. So, I think that we should stop using plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexa,

      You have a great mindset! That is why I prefer to wear a mask too. It's better for you and those around you. I also wish that we didn't use so much plastic. It's everywhere!

      Delete
  8. Hello! MY name is kiara
    I would feel uncomfortable wearing a mask to school when im sick. I think people should start reusing items. One question i have for you is what is the baddest pollution you've seen in South Korea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiara! Trust me when I say that it feels uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it. Especially when you have a reason to wear them like to protect from the pollution or when you're sick.

      The worst pollution I have seen was probably near the beginning of March. I live on the seventh floor and went to the lounge one morning where we have these big windows. The pollution was so bad that the sky looked a hazy yellow. I could see the buildings start to disappear in the distance.

      Delete
  9. i think that system of recycleing sound effective and i would most definatly use it my self.
    i think i would like the idea of wearing a mask to school. i would feel safe like people were not judging me as much.
    -edit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney, I agree. If Portland was able to recycle as well as South Korea, I think it would be really great. We would just have to make sure that people are separating their recycling correctly.

      Wearing a mask, it is easy to feel judged because it is different, but it gets easier as you see more people wearing them. In Portland, our air is very clean so there isn't much need to wear one unless you are sick.

      Delete
  10. hi my name is Eh-Ka-Paw i probably be comfortable wearing a mask because i have wore it before but not at school.
    a question i have is how did bts become famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eh-Ka-Pa,
      Do you wear a mask when you're sick. I do too!
      BTS got famous through their Talent Agency, BigHit. I can talk more about BTS when I post about Kpop in the near future!

      Delete
  11. I'm Daesha
    If I was sick I would wear a mask so other people wouldn't get sick.
    I think you can use plastic but as minimum as possible as long as you recycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daesha,
      That's a really good idea. Remember to wash your hand as well! I have to remember that at school because so many people touch handles and tables and you never know if they were sick.
      Have you thought about using reusable items to reduce the amount of plastic you use? That is what I do! I have reusable bags, cups, and straws that I use.

      Delete
  12. My name is Bryan and I like to watch and play basketball. One question I have for you is what is your favorite dessert in south korea? Another question I have is what activities do you like to do in South Korea when you have free time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brayan,

      My favorite dessert is shaved ice with fruit and sweet cream! I go to this place called Sulbing that is really good. Street vendors also sell this sweet bread with hard boiled egg on top. They call it egg bread and I love it.
      When I have free time, I usually explore new parts of the city that friends recommend. Or I go and try a new restaurant or find an event to go to! This weekend I'm going to a concert so I'll try to update you on that next week.

      Delete
  13. Hi,Im Deanna
    I really liked your blog today. Especially the wear your mask paragraph. Do you actually have a sore throat everytime you go out without your mask? How much plastic does korea use in one month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna,

      I'm glad you enjoyed the blog this week! I don't get a sore throat unless the pollution is very bad. Usually, I just start coughing because of the phlegm that my body produces.
      I'm not sure about the exact statistic. There are millions of people in Seoul alone! You can just imagine. When I was walking home last night, I saw maybe eight large bags full of plastic bottles on the side of the road. That was just one street corner for one business.

      Delete
  14. My name is Maylen and I would feel comfortable if I wore a mask to school. I feel okay if the masks were a social norm because it would prevent germs. I do think that we should continue to use less plastic items even if there is recycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maylen,
      I also think that wearing masks is a good social norm to prevent the spread of germs.
      I think so too. I feel like plastic is used for too many things and we should start finding alternative solutions.

      Delete
  15. hi. wearing a mask to school when I am sick is ok because I would not anyone to get sick. if that became a social norm it will make more people sick if they are not wearing there mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hunter,
      I think so too. When I has a cold here in Korea, I wore my mask every day and my friends automatically knew I was sick. It was good for me and them!

      Delete
  16. hi my name is jayden could you list some korean urban legends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi im devon do they have fortnite out there!!!????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we know fortnite is out here bitch suck a dick get a life know one likes you suck my dick girl FUCK YOU!

      Delete
    2. If you went to South Korea, what would you want to see the schools and places
      If a 6th grader came to visit from South Korea, what would you do with them we dont have dress codes so you can wear anything you want

      Delete
  18. Arda
    If you went to South Korea, what would you want to see? I would want to see how places are different
    If a 6th grader came to visit from South Korea, what would you do with them? great them and show them around

    ReplyDelete
  19. they study a lot that's why they are good at math.
    there food isn't odd because everybody eats different food.
    yes because i used to

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi my name is Alex
    1.I might feel comfortable wearing a mask to school.
    2.I think that one time use plastic should be okay if you were to recycle it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hello my names paymoo
    i don't really mind wearing a mask to school
    well if its a one time use then why use it when you have other plastic that aren't a one time use

    ReplyDelete