Sunday, April 28, 2019

SBS Super Concert in Gwangju!!!!!

Hello! It is week 5~

I am so excited about this post because I just went somewhere incredible...to the SBS Super Concert in Gwangju!!! The line-up included: TWICE, THE BOYZ, TXT, Hong JinYoung, Cherry Bullet, NATURE, N. Flying, IZ*ONE, MOMOLAND, and BTS. Have you heard of any of these groups?

Before I go into the concert, let me tell you a little something about K-pop:

Korean Wave

In South Korea, they call it "hallyu" or the Korean wave for the way that South Korea popular culture has dominated the global industry from K-Dramas, K-beauty, K-fashion, and K-pop especially. But what makes it so appealing? Many people attribute the success of K-pop to the attractive melodies, dance moves, and production of videos and photos. How did it start, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

The Beginning

In 1987 during South Korea's economic boom, the republic decided to reform it's democratic government. This, along with the decreased censorship rules and increasing modernization, changed what people saw on TV. People received their entertainment from TV and radio where music was introduced through talent shows. Prior to 1987, the music was mostly traditional folk and slow ballads. Rock music was especially controversial and often banned! Once the censorship rules were decreased, the broadcasting industry grew, South Koreans had more to watch and got regular exposure of music from outside the country. TV Talent shows were especially important in introducing new music groups to South Korean audiences and still play a crucial role in the success of a South Korean band's success. Going into the 90s, American style pop music began being fused with Korean music, to eventually lead to what we know today as K-pop. 

K-Pop

Sometime between 1995 and 1998, three important music studios were created: SM Entertainment (or SM Town), JYP Entertainment, and YG Entertainment. These studios began making the idol groups we know and love today. SM founder Lee Soo-man created the first idol group, HOT, in 1996. He assembled five singers and dancers that represented what he believed teens wanted in a modern-pop group. HOT had a lot of qualities that you might see in today's pop groups. They sing, dance, rap, and the members have unique personalities that come together thanks to music. At this time, K-pop was making their mark and creating a brand. K-pop performers themselves can be described as providing high-quality performances, a polished aesthetic, and music production capabilities similar to a factory. 

Not all rainbows and unicorns

Being involved in the talent industry in South Korea is not all it's cracked up to be. Some kids begin at maybe ten or twelve years old and get involved in highly competitive auditions. Music studios recruit talented children and bring them into the K-pop regime. Many children even attend special schools where they teach them how to sing, dance, and conduct their social behavior in preparation for life as a pop star. Their daily life consists of rehearsals, weekend music shows, and special groups performances. This allows them to gain fans before they "debut". Once they are old enough and if they get lucky, especially if they get lucky, the studio may place them into an idol group or launch them as a solo artist. BigHit is a big deal because of BTS, and they recently debuted a new group: Tomorrow x Together or TXT. Check them out:



I've heard a lot of rules go into pop star training. Many performers are signed into long-term contracts when they are still young which dictate their public and private behavior. They must follow special diets, follow a curfew, can not have romantic relationships, and regularly get their phones checked to ensure of it. It is very strict and many people do not agree with it. Many say that it can even be abusive. Increased public attention is the only way that we can have change so it will be very important for victims to come forward in the future. Despite all this, teens and preteens still flock to auditions in hopes of becoming the next big star or member of an idol group. 

When an idol group is formed, they must be trained to perfection. They generate songs, gain exposure through marketing, appear on TV, go on tour, and make "come backs". Comebacks usually mean a new album release for a group after they have been quiet for a while. These comebacks usually include fan meetings, TV appearances, concept art, and a whole new theme to their individual look and album. For example, BTS just made a comeback with their album "Persona". They started by releasing teaser photos periodically which showed album drop dates and concept art. Here is an example:


Image result for bts persona


 























SBS Super Concert

Before I knew that I would have the opportunity to go to a Kpop concert, I told myself it wasn't important because they are so expensive in the USA and it may not even be worth it. Then a friend told me about the SBS Super Concert and the line-up...I could not pass it up! The SBS Super concert was held Sunday, April 28th in Gwangju, which is located in the southwestern region of South Korea. The concert was held to kick off the 18th FINA World Aquatics Championship. The tickets were inexpensive and since it was through a South Korean tour agency, Trazy, the experience was nearly effortless.While I was really far from the stage, I got to hear their voices live and see them perform live on the screens surrounding the stadium. Trust me...I was wearing prescription contacts and could barely identify the members from how far away I was. 

When I first heard about it, I almost couldn't believe it. BTS? The world-famous pop group? I'm a BTS fan. While I enjoy individual songs from other groups, I would not go in depth to learn about the individual members and their history because that takes time. But there so many great songs performed! Like Bboom Bboom by Momoland, Cat & Dog by TXT, Make It Right by BTS, Spring Memories by N.Flying, Dance the Night Away by TWICE, and Yes or Yes by TWICE. I never thought that I would experience so much in South Korea, but I'm not complaining. Overall, the organization, performances, and fan environment made the experience worthwhile! The stage theme changed with each song, people waved their light sticks to the beat, and fan chants could be heard in every direction. People have so much love for these groups and I find it to be so amazing. Groups like BTS release music with meaningful lyrics and powerful messages which help a lot of people. I definitely stan. 



Before the performances began. This is my view from my seat.


BTS saying goodbye. A fireworks show signaled the end of the concert.




If you have time, here is a video of the BTS performance from last night. It's long, so I would suggest watching it from home :D



Questions:

Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop?
Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? 
What is your opinion of the K-pop industry?




Source:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/2/16/16915672/what-is-kpop-history-explained

67 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Emma and I will be answering your questions. Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop? - I do not like K-pop but this is written really well so I do enjoy todays post.
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? - I do not have a favorite because I do not like K-pop.
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry? - I'm fine with others enjoying K-pop but I just do not like it mostly because I cannot understand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Emma again I forgot to ask what was your favorite part of the concert?

      Delete
    2. Hello Emma! I can understand why you don't like K-pop. It took me a while to get into it and there's still a lot that I feel I miss out on as someone who does not speak Korean. What kind of music do you like?
      My favorite part of the concert was not knowing the group performing and then them playing a song that I am familiar with! I loved the feeling of not knowing the group, but recognizing the song and watching them perform it 😁 There was a lot of fireworka too so that made for a lot of beautiful surprises.

      Delete
  2. Hello my name is Mei Ling. I'll be answering your questions.
    Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop? ~I do kinda like K-Pop but mostly about their dances.
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? ~ My favorite is BTS because it is the only one i know
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry? ~ I think it is great, I know other people know more bout k-pop more than me and some don't like any and i'm fine with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mei Ling,
      When I first starting listening to K-pop, I paid the most attention to the choreography since I can't understand what they say. I agree that their dancing is really entertaining to watch.
      Everyone has their own preferences! I'm glad that you are all developing your own interests and I enjoy learning about them. ☺

      Delete
  3. Hi my name is carolina, but i go by caro. Im glad that you are enjoying your trip there! I have a couple questions...
    -what got you into k-pop?
    -what is your favorite singer/band?
    - what song would you recommend to someone that has never heard k-pop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caro! Thank you! It's been great so far.
      I was watching K-Dramas and a friend recommended that I listen to some K-pop groups. I didn't listen, but as I was watching a Q-Park video, he played a song that caught my attention. It was Blood, Sweat, & Tears by BTS. That song got me listening to K-pop. The choreography and overall sound had me looking up other BTS songs. For that reason, Blood, Sweat & Tears is the song I would recommend. Everyone has different music tastes though so it's okay if you don't like it.
      My favorite singer overall is between Bad Bunny and Christian Nodal. Two completely different genres of music 😂

      Delete
  4. hello my name is zach, I have only heard of bts because one of my friends sisters loves bts. I do not personally choose k-pop as my music choice but you made it sound really interesting. one question I have for you in the next blog is, How often were concerts for bts or any south korean band?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zach! That makes a lot of sense. I noticed that a lot of young girls like BTS in the USA. What kind of music do you prefer? I have a lot of different music that I like other than K-pop like reggaetÃģn, R&B, and regional Mexican music.
      The frequency of the concerts depend on the season and when the groups go on tour. Since the weather has gotten nicer, there have been many concerts recently. For a group like BTS, they performed at the concert that I went to(SBS Super Concert) then performed at the Billboard Music Awards a few days later. So on tour, I would say that groups only get a day or two break before they perform again.

      Delete
  5. Hi my name is VeRon and i'm going to be answering your questions Did you enjoy today's post on K-pop? yes because it is very interesting even though I think K-pop is alright.
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? No because I don't really listen to it
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry? I think K-pop is ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello VeRon, I'm glad you enjoyed this weeks topic even though K-pop isn't your preferred genre of music.
      What kind of music do you prefer? I don't listen to a lot of K-pop nowadays. I recently discovered Khalid, so I have been listening to a lot of his songs.

      Delete
  6. Hello. my name is russell. my answers to your questions are these.
    Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop? I don't really have an opinion on this post.
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? No. I haven't heard of K-pop before today.
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry? it sounds like regular pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Russell. I'm actually glad that you had not heard of K-pop before today. While you feel indifferent, I think this topic was a good opportunity for you to see what is popular in another country :)
      What kind of music do you prefer to listen to, if any?

      Delete
  7. this VeRon again i'm starting to like K-pop

    ReplyDelete
  8. VeRon again I listen to hip hop do you like hip hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What hip hop artists do you listen to? I feel like we may have different ideas of what hip hop is, but I do like it too.

      Delete
  9. Hi my name is dude I will be answering your questions. Did you enjoy today's post on K-pop? i did like the post and k-pop. Do you have a favorite K-Pop group? i do not have a favorite K-Pop group because this is my first time talking about k-pop. What is your opinion of the K-pop industry? i do not get this question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dude. I'm glad that you enjoyed the topic today. I like that it is your first time hearing about K-pop! That means that you learned something new.

      Delete
  10. k-pop is not my favorite rap and hip hop is mine favorite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi my name is Maylen.
    I really enjoyed this post.
    I don't have a favorite group.
    My opinion about the K-Pop industry is that there is good music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maylen!
      I'm glad you enjoyed it. What did you find to be most interesting?

      Delete
  12. Hi my name is katee.
    I really liked your post but im not a fan of K-pop.
    My favorite type of music is rap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katee.
      That's alright, K-pop is not for everyone. What rap artists are your favorite?

      Delete
  13. hi i ma marcus do you lick k-pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcus,
      I do like K-pop. I enjoy K-RnB more though!

      Delete
  14. My name is Bryan and I did enjoy today's lesson on kpop because it sounds interesting to be in a big stadium to see a concert.I don't have a favorite kpop group because i don't listen to kpop I listen to reggaeton and hip hop and rap. My opinion is that I don't like kpop and its not really a topic I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bryan! I'm really glad you enjoyed the post on K-pop! Who is your favorite reggaetÃģn artist? Mine is Bad Bunny because he produces good music and he's not afraid to express himself and have his own style.
      K-pop is not everyone's favorite, so that's okay. I don't listen to it much myself, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see a concert. It was really cool to see it in a stadium too!

      Delete
  15. Hello,this is Alexa.
    I did enjoy today's post on K-pop. My favorite K-pop group is BTS. I think that the K-pop industry is amazing. Also, I have a few questions for you: Which K-pop group do you think did the best at preforming? And, what is your favorite K-pop group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ALexa,
      BTS is my favorite too! They're the only group that I keep up with so maybe I'm biased.
      I don't know if they did the best, because I couldn't see everyone all that well - BUT, TXT had really complicated choreography that I think they executed really well. Which is one reason why I included their video. Considering they only recently debuted, they left a positive impression on me.

      Delete
  16. Hi my name is Natalia Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop?
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group?
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry?
    i love kpop because i found the music very interesting and it makes me wanna learn the language :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalia,
      That's really great to hear! Just the fact that you want to learn an additional language is so cool!! If you want to learn Korean, I would suggest starting with their alphabet, Hangul. There are lots of youtube videos to help you learn the alphabet. Once you know the alphabet, you can start learning vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure. That's about where I am in my learning right now. I wish you luck!

      Delete
  17. Hi Im Esther
    I really liked this week's post because I really like K-pop.
    I used to like BTS a LOT, but now I like Blackpink. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther,
      I'm glad this post was relevant to your interests! What is your favorite thing about K-pop? What makes you like it?
      Did BTS introduce your to K-pop? That was the case for me. I started with BTS and starting looking into other groups. Blackpink is really good too! I wish they had performed at the super concert.

      Delete
  18. hi my name is Ricardo i have a question
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group?
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry?
    would you choose k-pop or hip pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ricardo.
      My favorite K-pop group is BTS! However, they're really the only group that I have taken time to get to know. I think the K-pop industry could be more ethical. I hope they take measures to ensure that their members are healthy, physically and emotionally. I also hope that their artists are paid fairly for their efforts. That is my opinion based on what I know and have heard.
      K-pop wins with their music videos and choreography, but if we're just talking music, I would probably choose hip-hop.

      Delete
  19. My name is Nalanie and yes I enjoyed this post
    My favorite group I listen to is BTS
    My opinion about the K-Pop industry is how toxic it can be because everyone shows how happy they all are, but they can just be faking it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nalanie.
      Same here! I enjoy BTS the most.
      Like you said, it can be very toxic! You never know what someone is going through mentally. I hope that these stars are being treated well and have the emotional support necessary to be happy.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for letting me know how you feel about the K-pop industry! :)

      Delete
  20. hello my name is paymoo and i don't really like k-pop
    i don't have a favorite group of k-pop
    and i don't know what K-pop industry is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paymoo,
      It's okay to not like K-pop. Do you have a genre of music or specific artist that you enjoy listening to the most?

      Delete
  21. Hi my name is Allen.
    I did enjoy this post on k-pop.
    I wouldn't say favorite but I like BTS,IKON,and maybe TWICE.
    I mean the k pop industry is a strong one and i respect the people that are big fans of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allen.
      That's so cool! I'm glad you like multiple groups. I don't think I am familiar with IKON, but I do enjoy a few songs by TWICE. They performed really well at the concert too.
      Before coming to Korea, I don't think I realized how extra the mega fans are. I know what you mean though, they deserve respect for their strong commitment to K-pop and their favorite groups.

      Delete
  22. hi my name is kobe.
    yes is did like today's post on k-pop, because I just found out that when bts signed the contract they cant have a relationship and have to be on a diet.
    I don't really like k-pop.
    I don't really like k-pop and I don't really listen to k-pop ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kobe.
      I'm glad you learned something new about K-pop! Even if you don't like the music, I think it is cool to see what other countries are interested in.
      What do you like to listen to?

      Delete
  23. My name is deanna, i think it's interesting kpop stars are signed into long-term contracts. I can't believe that the government was in charge of what you watch and listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deanna,
      I can't believe it either! Could you imagine only having two channels to choose from? Let alone only getting news and information about how great your country is.

      Delete
  24. I did actually really like today's post, korea is one of the many places i want to see before i die.

    I dont really like k-pop that much. sure i can stand some of that style of music, bu ti prefer things like, nick cave, and queen, so classical rock i guess. i also listen to alot of country and metal.

    my opinion... well i have nothing against it, it helps people with some of the messages it sends to people.

    -Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sydney,
      I really encourage you to pursue that goal. It's expensive, but well worth it. South Korea especially is very tourist friendly. I'm glad this weeks post made you want to see S. Korea even more.
      Classical rock is cool. It's had huge influence on the music industry in the USA, so I have a respect for that. What metal bands do you listen to? Do you ever listen to screamo? I listened to a lot of that in middle school.

      Delete
  25. Did you enjoy todays post on K-pop?
    I did but k-pop is not my favorite genre.
    Do you have a favorite K-Pop group?
    Not really but my friends really like bts and blackpink
    What is your opinion of the K-pop industry?
    I think that a lot of people like it and it has good music
    btw do you think taejin is real? (search it up if you don't know what it is)
    ~kiara;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kiara!
      Since K-pop isn't your favorite genre, what is???
      BTS and Blackpink seem to be the two most popular groups from what I have seen.
      Taejin xD xD xD
      I would say no because the males in South Korea are generally more affectionate with friends than you would see in other cultures. I love that people catch their cute moments and compile "evidence" though hahaha
      The videos they post on YouTube can be so cute!!!

      Delete
  26. kpop is ok.
    my favorite group is bts and black pink.
    i hope the kpop industry will always be alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your a K-pop fan! Very cool. With how relevant K-pop is and has been, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. :)

      Delete
  27. Hello my name is Austin
    I don't really like k-pop that much
    I don't have a favorite k-pop group
    I don't really know much about the k-pop industry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Austin.
      What kind of music do you listen to?

      Delete
  28. I enjoyed this post because of how it explains the story behind K-pop, how the members are treated, and some Korean music background.
    I don't have any favorite K-pop because I don't listen to it but a big K-pop band I have heard of is BTS.
    I don't believe I like the rules the K-pop stars have to follow and I don't hate K-pop, it sounds cool and I feel like if I listened to it more I would start to like it.
    Alketa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Thank you for the feedback, Alketa! I'm glad you enjoyed the information that I included.
      I do not agree with their methods in the industry either, but hopefully we will see reform in the near future. I have friends that don't listen to K-pop because they don't agree with the way the industry functions.
      If you find a song that you like, let me know! I want to hear :)

      Delete
  29. Hi, Im Daesha
    i'm not into kpop but I liked your post
    I don't have a favorite because I don't listen to them
    I was wondering what your favorite desert is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Daesha!
      Do you have a favorite artist in general? What kind of music do you usually listen to?
      My favorite dessert is shaved ice with fresh fruit! Specifically, I enjoy Hawaiian shaved ice because they use sweet cream!! p:
      Do you have a favorite dessert?

      Delete
  30. does any kpop members use plastic surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for K-pop specifically because I'm really not sure, but plastic surgery in South Korea is really normal to get. Many families even give their children plastic surgery as their graduation gift.

      Delete
  31. I like a lot of tape of music but I do not like k-pop.I do like the texe today I liked the 3 paragraf. may opinion on it is like poison that slowly kills me for eche song I here if you like it I am sorry but that is my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hunter!
      Don't hate me for saying this, but that's how I feel about country music xD It's just not my favorite genre. That's okay though! You can like whatever you want :) Don't feel like you have to be sorry for expressing your opinion.
      Sorry if this week's post was painful for you!

      Delete
  32. Hi, Marisol! No offense to you or any fans/singers of K-pop, but K-pop is actually one of my least favorite types of music, but after having to listen to over twenty minutes of it today I realized some of the K-pop songs have a pretty good beat to them. Some music I listen to is old rock and EMO music. (ex. PANIC! At The Disco, Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, etc.) I hope you consider listening to this type of music and promise you won't regret it. In my part, I will try listening to some more K-pop. It's not quite my favorite music so far, but it is most definitely not the worst. I am glad you had fun at the concert and hope you get to experience other cool things in S. Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *And I like Queen...

      Delete
    2. Hey Johnathan,
      None taken! I was actually anti pop when I was in middle school. I've always preferred rock or music produced with instruments, in general. I'm more of a listener of post-hardcore/screamo. While I listen to Green Day, Linkin Park, and Panic! At the Disco, my favorite bands have been Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada, Alesana, Blessthefall, Miss May I, and A Skylit Drive. Check them out if you're interested. K-pop is what is most relevant in South Korea and I enjoy many songs, but it is not my favorite. Thanks for letting me know what you think! I'm glad you're at least learning something new 🙂

      Delete
  33. I would want to see people dance and also the city. If a 6th grader came i would give them a tour.

    ReplyDelete