Monday, May 27, 2019

I am how old in Korea?!

Hellooooo!

Today we are going to discuss the topic of Korean Age.

I don't know if any of you have heard of Korean age, but basically, you turn one year old on the day of your birth and you get one year older on January 1st of the following year. In South Korea, this is referred to as "man" age. Korean age is used in everyday life here, but official documents adhere to international age. I knew about Korean age before coming, but I didn't think it would be as important as it is!

Why do they count age this way?

They count age this way because they believe that the nine months in the mother's womb must be counted. That is why a newborn's 100th day is so important! It technically completes one full year of life. The one hundredth day party is called baegil janchi






















Everyone Asks My Age!

You know how people usually refrain from asking an adults age because it could be seen as rude? That is not the case in South Korea. People here ask about age and marital status before having a proper discussion in order to use the appropriate level of Korean language. The Korean language strictly reflects the relationship and hierarchical order between two people. I have heard the expression of South Korea having a vertical hierarchical system while the West has a horizontal one. This suggests that people are spoken to with equal respect in the West, regardless of age or social standing. The vertical system in South Korea is based highly on your job position, age, and level of education. If someone is older, in a higher position than you, or both, you would need to speak to them using honorifics. This means that most words and phrases can be said two ways, informal and honorific.

I cannot speak Korean well, so this does not apply to me so much in the sense that Koreans do not expect me to adhere to the rules of hierarchy, especially if we are having a conversation in English. It's just not possible. However, I still refer to my Korean professors as Seonsaengnim because it is the honorific teacher. Always try to be respectful when referring to your teachers! When I go out with new people, they usually ask what year I was born. While we don't speak with honorifics, it is impolite to call someone by there name! So you must know someone's age to know what is appropriate to call them. I'm usually older, so the girls call me unni (older sister of a female) and the boys call me noona (older sister of a male). 

The Basics

Unni - older sister of a female
Oppa - older brother of a female
Noona - older sister of a male
Hyung - younger brother of a male

Yotongseng is the word for younger sister, but usually girls would just say the name of their younger female friend when referring to them. 

In a formal setting, refer to anyone and everyone as first name + ssi. In a formal setting, you would call me Marisol-ssi This is appropriate unless it has been specified that you can call the person by their first name. If a person has a specific title, you would call them by their title followed by nim. Remember seonsaengnim? Seonsang means teacher and nim is the formal ending. 

I have heard many people say that they do not agree with Korean hierarchy because they believe respect should be earned. Here in South Korea, you show a submissive type of respect to your elders and seniors. You are expected to do things for them and show respect at all times. If you're out to eat, you would serve them their beverage and set the table. Table setting is important! You wait for your elder to be served before you eat. If you're out eating Korean barbecue, you would do all of the meat cooking. However, the seniors are expected to pay. As a senior, you take care of your junior financially. 

What is your Korean Age?

Are you having a hard time figuring out your Korean age? Let me help! If you have already celebrated your birthday this year, add one year to your birthday. If you have NOT celebrated your birthday yet, add two years to your birthday. How old would you be in Korea? My international age is 23, while my Korean age is 24! Wow, that makes me feel old! 😅 

Try this:
(Current year) - (Year of Birth) + 1 = Korean Age

If you're still confused this quick video will help!


34 comments:

  1. I have 1 sister and she loves Kpop. I am 12 but in Korea I am 13
    -William P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1 little brother and 1 older sister,one of them loves rap the other one likes techno music. I am 12 year old but in Korea I'm 13
    -Jose D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi this is abdullahi. do you have brother or sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi this is abdi. (2019) - (2006) + 1 = Korean Age 14

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, my name is Declan.I have younger sisters, my sibling term is Oppa. My international age is 12, but my Korean age is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, this is Stormie. In korea, I would be 13 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi this is Daniel.
    I have 2 brothers and one sister.
    I am a Hyung.
    I am 11 but my Korean age is 13.
    (2019-2007=12+1=13)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, this is Omar.I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters.I am 12 and in Korea i am 13.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is Arda. I have 1 brother 1 sister. I an 11 and in Korea I am 12

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi this jonathon
    i would be 13 because i am 11 now and i have not celebrated my birthday yet

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is isaac i have 2 brother 1 sister

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I am Emma,I have one older sister.
    my Korean age is 13 because I Am 12.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi i'm Ariana.
    I have 9 siblings.
    I am 12 but my korean age is 13.😀

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi,i have an older brother so he will be oppa to me. 2019-2006=13+1=14 so in korean age i will be 14 years old
    -grace

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi My name is alex my real age is 12 but in Korea I would be 13 this is how:
    2019-2007+1=13

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, this is Maylen. I have one younger sister. My international age is 11. My Korean age is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I'm Nalanie
    I have 3 siblings
    I'm 12 but my Korean age is 13

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, this is Alketa.
    I have one brother and I am a noona since I am older than him.
    My international age is 12 while my korean age is 14 since I haven't celebrated my birthday yet.

    2019-2006=13+1= 14 (Birthday is in November)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello my name is paymoo and i have 3 sisters one is older but is disabled and the other 2 are younger i have no brothers and my age would be 13 in korea

    ReplyDelete

  20. hi my name Ricardo Do you have brothers and sisters? I have three sisters What is your sibling term? rap
    What is your international age? 12
    ...your Korean age?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi my name is Alexa. I have three siblings. I have an older brother, younger brother,and a younger sister. My sibling term is unni. My international age is 11, but my korean age is 13 because I have not yet celebrated my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 𝟚𝟘𝟙𝟡 - 𝟚𝟘𝟘𝟟 + 𝟙 = 𝟙𝟛
    𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕞𝕪 𝕂𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕒𝕘𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝟙𝟛! :D

    ReplyDelete

  23. my name is Marcus in Korea I would be 13 but my real age is 12

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi my name is Allen
    I have a older brother who is about to graduate high school so i am a hyung.
    My international age is 12 but in South Korea I am 13.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Im bryan and I have a little brother and a little sister. Im an oppa. Im 12 so my korean age is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi I am Hunter. I have a 9 year old broth that is a bucket. He will call me Hyung and I bo not now the other way

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, i have a older sister and 1 younger and 1 big brother. (2019-2007=12+1=13) but i am only 11.

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi my name is sydney, and i have 1 younger brother and two younger sisters. my korean age is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey my name is jonathan and i have 1 brother and 1 sister im 11 years old but in south korea 13 years old

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi my name is Austin and I have 2 sisters and 1 brother and my brothers term would be Hyung. and my international age would be 12. and my korean age is 13.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hi my name is kiara I have 1 brother his term would be Oppa
    because I didn't celebrate my birthday this year yet my Korean age is 14.

    ReplyDelete